- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs. short ribs
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic head, plus more to taste
- 2 heaping tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 cup beef stock
This recipe takes all afternoon, but once it’s in the oven, most of the work is done. And the magic that happens in the oven is, well, magical. The short ribs will flavor the sauce while the sauce flavors the short ribs. It’s a win-win that creates a hearty, warm dish perfect for dinner for two or the whole family.
- Pour olive oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat. Set oven temperature to 275 degrees. Season all sides of the short ribs liberally with salt and pepper.
- Sear all sides of the short ribs, in batches if necessary. Remove from pot and set aside. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of fat from pot. Add in onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Cut garlic head in half, exposing all the cloves. Place face down in the oil for 2 to 3 minutes until caramelized. Add in tomato paste and stir so the onions are coated. Continue cooking for 4 minutes.
- Deglaze the bottom of the pot with the red wine, taking care to scrape up any bits that are sticking to the bottom. Add in tomatoes and beef stock and bring to a simmer. Add a few good pinches of salt to taste (This will cook down, so don’t go crazy). Place the short ribs back in pot so they are about halfway covered. Cover and place in oven for 3 to 3 and half hours, until meat easily falls apart and liquid is reduced by half.
- Serve with crusty bread and pasta of choice.