By: Rossella Rago
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion cut into a 1/4 Inch dice
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage removed from the casing
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Vodka
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound rigatoni pasta
- 2 tablespoons grated pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil and cook the rigatoni to just under al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Put a large saute` pan over a medium flame and heat the oil. Add the onion and saute` for 1-2 minutes. Add the sausage and saute` while breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Cook until all the sausage is browned, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add in the vodka, tomatoes and salt. Cook until the alcohol reduces, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the peas to the pan and stir in the heavy cream. As soon as the pan returns to a boil add the al dente pasta.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheeses, allowing the residual heat of the pan to melt the cheese. Serve immediately.