By: MaryAnn Dwyer
- 3 lb. mix of chicken thighs and legs, I use parts with skin on
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. kosher salt divided
- 3/4 tsp. ground black pepper divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large green pepper julienned and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion sliced and quartered
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 28 oz. canned or homemade tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry with paper towels.
- In shallow bowl combine flour, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Dredge chicken pieces in flour mixture.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet. Brown chicken on both sides for about 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from skillet and place on paper towel lined plate.
- Drain excess fat from skillet. Return chicken to skillet.
- Add green pepper, onion and mushrooms.
- Mix together garlic, tomato sauce, water, oregano and thyme. Pour over chicken and vegetables.
- Cover and simmer on medium-low for 45 minutes until chicken is tender and no longer pink inside, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.