The following recipe, prepared by Chef Rossella Rago, appears on CookingWithNonna.com.
For the Sauce:
- 42 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- fresh parsley
- peperoncino – hot pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound spaghetti
For the Stuffing:
- 1 pound whole fresh calamari
- 1/3 cup plain bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup grated pecorino cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper, as desired
- Prepare the Sauce:
- Chop the onion finely and saute` it in 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Once the onion becomes translucent, add the tomato sauce, the parsley and a pinch of salt.
- Add a pinch of hot pepper as desired and let everything cook at low heat.
- Wash the calamari very well inside and out. Remove from inside the calamari all internal matters.
- Cut a very small hole at the tip of the tail as it will enable you to run fresh water thru the calamari and completely clean them.
- Prepare the Stuffing:
- In a bowl, mix the eggs, bread crumbs, cheese, garlic, EV olive oil and parsley. Add salt and pepper as desired.
- Mix well until you have a semi-soft stuffing. Add a little milk or bread crumbs as needed.
- With a teaspoon, fill the body of the calamari until 1/2 inch from the top.
- Once the sauce boils, place the calamari in the sauce and cover the pot. Continue to cook at low heat for about 25-30 minutes.
- From time to time, stir the sauce and the calamari to prevent them from sticking to the bottom.
- Boil spaghetti in salted water and serve with the sauce… they are excellent!