By: Rossella Rago, Cooking with Nonna
For the Artichokes:
- 4 medium sized artichokes
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano cheese shavings
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped almonds
- 3 cloves finely chopped garlic
- fresh parsley
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Clean the artichokes by removing the harder outer leaves and cutting the stem and the top part of the leaves as they may have thorns.
- Put the artichokes in a bowl full of water and lemon juice, so that they don’t tarnish.
- In a saute` pan, put the bread crumbs and two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Saute` until the bread crumbs are lightly golden. Immediately put them in a cold bowl, so that they don’t burn.
- Mix finely chopped parsley, the garlic, salt & pepper — as desired — the grated cheese and some olive oil to the bread crumbs.
- Mix the ingredients very well until the oil is evenly absorbed.
- Take each artichoke, open the leaves as much as you can and insert the bread crumb mixture among the leaves, and some Parmigiano cheese shavings. Add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil over each artichoke.
- Place the artichokes in an oven pan and add 1-1/2 inches of water. Cover the pan.
- Place the pan on the stove and cook for 20 to 25 mins. depending on the size of the artichokes.
- Finish off by putting the pan in the oven for 15 more minutes at 400 F.