By: Chef Nick Stellino
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, thickly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon curry
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ pound fresh mussels, cleaned
- ½ pound calamari cleaned and cut into one-inch wide rings. Use the tentacles as well if you have them
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken or fish stock
- ½ pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
- ½ pound bay scallops, cut into large two inch pieces
- ½ pound halibut or cod, cut into two-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large sauce pan cook the olive oil over medium heat until it starts to sizzle. Add the garlic and the red pepper flakes, stirring constantly. Cook for one to two minutes.
- Add the chopped onion, stir well and cook for one minute or until the onions begin to melt, then add the curry. Stir in the chopped parsley and cook for one minute over medium, medium-low heat.
- Increase the heat to medium high, add the mussels and the calamari and stir into the base for about two minutes. Stir in the wine and cook until it reduces, approximately two to three minutes then add the tomato sauce and the stock.
- Once the mussels begin to open, add the shrimp, scallops and the fish. Stir together all of the ingredients to combine well. Make sure you dispose of any mussels which did not open.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat add salt and pepper to taste and serve.