By: MaryAnn Dwyer, The Beach House Kitchen
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb. Italian sausage links
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into slices, and then half each slice
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cup Marsala cooking wine
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add sausage links and cook until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and place on plate. Set aside.
- Add the peppers and onions, salt and pepper to the pan and cook over medium heat until lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes. Add the Italian seasoning and the garlic and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste.
- Add the Marsala wine, crushed tomatoes granulated sugar and red pepper flakes and stir until well combined. Bring to a simmer.
- Cut the sausages into 1-inch chunks. Add the sausage to the pot and stir until well combined. Cook for 20 minutes or until sausage is totally cooked though. Serve with pasta, on rolls, or in bowls.
I used sweet Italian sausage for today’s recipe, but you can also use hot or a combination of both.
I think the addition of the Marsala wine really makes this dish, so I wouldn’t leave it out.
I chose links for this recipe, but you can also buy a large piece of sausage.
I added 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, but if you like it spicier add more. Not so spicy? Add less.