By: Rossella Rago, Cooking with Nonna
For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound mixed ground meat (pork, veal and beef)
- 4 leaves sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup red wine
- Red pepper flakessalt
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 pound rigatoni pasta
- Cook the Rigatoni in salted water.
- In a saute pan, add the EV olive oil and the chopped garlic.
- Let the garlic saute for a few minutes until it turns lightly golden and add the ground meat.
- Saute the meat by breaking it up with a wooden spoon.
- Add the bay leaves and the sage leaves broken by hand. Add salt and red pepper flakes as desired.
- Saute the meat until it turns brown. Add the red wine.
- Let the alcohol evaporate for a few minutes and add the tomato paste.
- Turn the flame to low, add two tablespoons of pasta water and cover the saute pan.
- Cook for about 10 minutes. If the sauce gets dry, add some more pasta water.
- Once the Rigatoni are cooked to Al Dente, pour them into the sauce and toss for 1 minute until the Rigatoni are well coated with the sauce and serve.
- Garnish with Pecorino or Parmigiano cheese as desired.