By: Rossella Rago, Cooking with Nonna
For 10 people
To make the cake:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 – 15 ounce can of pumpkin
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or 2 bags Italian Vanilla powder
- 2 cups mini semisweet chocolate chips
For the Ganache Topping:
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- sprinkles for decorating
- To Make the Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a bundt pan with baking spray or grease with butter.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, corn starch, baking powder, salt, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, brown sugar, eggs, pumpkin and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet a little at a time and stir with a spatula until the dry ingredients are just absorbed. Do not over mix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes and then invert it onto a plate. Cool completely before frosting.
- To Make the Ganache Topping:
- Place the chocolate chips in a small bowl.
- Put a small saucepan over a medium flame and heat the heavy cream until it is barely boiling. Pour the heavy cream over the chocolate and let sit for one minute.
- Whisk with a fork until the chocolate is smooth and shiny. Let cool for 10-15 minutes as the ganache thickens.
- Pour over the cake and decorate with sprinkles.