For the Pasta:
- 1 pound dried mezzi iigatoni
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small white onion, cut into a 1/4 inch dice
- 20 zucchini flowers, washed, stems removed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk ricotta
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese for serving
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil and drop the pasta in.
- Put a large sauté pan over a medium flame and heat the oil. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini flowers to the pan and the salt, cook until they just begin to wilt, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the ricotta to the pan and stir with a wooden spoon until the zucchini flowers are well distributed and the ricotta just begins to bubble.
- Add the al dente pasta to the pan and toss until all the pasta is well coated in ricotta. Serve immediately.
Note: To find zucchini flowers, call your local farmer’s market or organic foods store.