By: Sarah Maranto and Concetta Maranto Skenfield,, A Taste of Sicily
- 12 large ripe tomatoes
- 12 fresh basil leaves, julienned
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¾ pound uncooked spaghetti
- Peel and chop the tomatoes. In a large bowl, mash the chopped tomatoes until juice is abundant.
- Mix the tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Stir well and let the flavors blend together for about 30 minutes or longer.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling, salted water. When cooked to al dente, drain most of the water, immediately toss the fresh tomato mixture with the pasta and serve.