By: MaryAnn Dwyer, The Beach House Kitchen
- 1 1/4 lb. (about 16) sea scallops
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 cup capers
- fresh chopped parsley for garnish, if desired
- Scallops: Blot scallops with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan over high heat. Carefully add scallops when oil is hot, making sure scallops are not touching each other. Sear scallops for 1 1/2-2 minutes on each side. Do not move or flip until bottom is golden brown. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes until softened and translucent, stirring often. Add garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute. Add orzo and cook for 2-3 minutes until lightly toasted, stirring until well combined.
- Add wine and bring to a boil. Cook until almost all wine is evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 1/2 cups stock, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until pasta is tender and broth is mostly absorbed, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, lemon zest and capers. Divide orzo among 4 dishes and top with about 4 scallops per plate. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley. Serves four people.