By: Rossella Rago, Cooking with Nonna
Serves: 2 Dozen
For the Cookies:
- 8 ounces almond paste
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 lemons, zest only
- 2 tablespoons limoncello liqueur or lemon juice
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- Confectioners sugar, when rolling dough
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and spray with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl grate the almond paste with a large cheese grater. Add the sugar, cornstarch, baking powder, zest and limoncello. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add in the beaten egg white and mix with the mixer until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Evenly coat small dollops of dough–about 2 teaspoons each–with confectioners sugar, then roll into balls. Place on prepared baking sheets 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. The cookies may be soft out of the oven but will firm up as they cool. Avoid moving them from the baking sheet until cool.