By: Rossella Rago, Cooking with Nonna
For 2 Dozen
For the Cookies:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Zest of one Lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
For the Icing:
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon water, add more if needed
- Combine the confectioners sugar and extract, and mix in water a tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency. I like mine to be slightly thicker than heavy cream.
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer or with an electric mixer combine shortening, sugar and zest, and beat until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary. Add the extract and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until mixture starts to form a dough. Add the heavy cream and mix until just absorbed. Do not over mix.
- Dough should be slightly sticky, but you should still be able to roll it into balls. You can also use an ice cream scoop.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely before frosting. Decorate with sprinkles!