By: Chef Patrick A. Capuozzo
3 pounds russet potatoes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg
1 t salt
- Cover potatoes with 2 inches of water, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- When potatoes are fork tender, drain and peel immediately using a kitchen towel (the skins should rub off).
- Pass potatoes through food mill and onto wooden cutting board. Form potatoes in ring. Sprinkle flour over potatoes.
- Crack egg in center, and add salt.
- Using a fork, gradually incorporate all. Then, knead by hand for 3 to 4 minutes (a dash of flour may be needed).
- Let chill in fridge for 30 minutes, then roll into 1-inch dowels and cut with floured knife, 1-inch thick.
- Return to fridge.
- Drop the gnocchi into simmering water, then increase to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes after they float.
- Plate, add bolognese sauce and serve.
- Servings: 6
Note: Use your family’s bolognese sauce, or try this recipe by Chef Nick Stellino.