By: Rossella Rago, Cooking with Nonna
Makes 2 Dozen
For the Cookies:
- 4 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almonds
- 6 large eggs, 5 for the batter, 1 for the egg wash
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons almond extract
For the Glaze:
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Sprinkles for decorating
- For the Cookies:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a 13×18 inch baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Spray with baking spray, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Add the almonds to the bowl of a food processor. Process for 20-30 seconds. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine the almonds, 5 of the eggs, sugar, olive oil, lemon zest and extracts. Mix with an electric mixer until smooth. Add in the flour little by little — mixing on low speed — until the flour is just absorbed.
- Sprinkle a clean surface with flour and coat your hands. Take a golf ball-sized piece of dough and roll it into a 1-inch thick rope. If the dough is sticky coat your hand with more flour. Cut the ropes into 4- to 5-inch long pieces and shape them into an S shape. Place the cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Flatten each of the cookies slightly with the palm of your hand.
- In a small bowl beat the remaining egg and brush each cookie with egg wash. Bake for 15 minutes or until the cookies have browned nicely on the bottom. Cool completely before frosting.
- To make the Glaze:
- In a bowl mix together the sugar, extracts and milk. For thicker glaze add more sugar. For thinner glaze add more milk. Drizzle into the cookies and decorate with sprinkles. Allow the glaze to dry for at least 2 hours.