By: Rossella Rago, Cooking with Nonna
For the Cookies:
- 1 pound almond paste
- 1/2 pound sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 2 lemons, zest only
- 1/4 pound pignoli nuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 325F
- Put the almond paste in a bowl, add the lemon zest, the sugar and egg whites. Mix until the egg whites dilute the sugar and the mixture becomes a paste.
- Take a lump of paste and roll it into a ball about 1″ in diameter.
- Put the ball on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and press it down with the palm of your hand to flatten it.
- Top with pignoli nuts.
- Make all your cookies and bake for 20 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool before you remove them from the baking paper.
Yield: 2 dozen