By: Angela Allison
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 16 minutes
Total Time: 26 minutes
Servings 12 cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons raw coarse sugar
- 1/2 cup fig spread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a baking pad. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes with an electric mixer. Add in the egg yolk and almond extract and beat for another minute. Fold in the flour and salt and mix until combined. Refrigerate dough for at least 15 minutes or until firm enough to roll into balls.
- Roll the dough into 12 equal-sized balls. In a small bowl, whisk the remaining egg white until frothy. In a seperate bowl, stir together the chopped almonds and raw sugar. Dip one of the dough balls into the egg white and then roll in almond mixture to coat. Place on cookie sheet and repeat with remaining balls.
- Use your thumb or a spoon to gently press the middle of the cookie down so that the cookie spreads and there is a slight indentation in the middle.
- Bake cookies for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and spoon about a teaspoon of fig spread into the center of the cookie. Return to oven and bake for another 7 to 8 minutes, or until cookie is light golden in color. Cool on baking rack before moving to wire rack to cool completely.
These are excellent make-ahead cookies. Just cool completely and refrigerate in an airtight container. Be careful not to stack the cookies when they are warm.
Click here for more Italian recipes from This Delicious House.