By: Rossella Rago, Cooking with Nonna
For the Flowers:
- 12 zucchini flowers
- 1 ounce mozzarella, cut in 12 cubes
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- Frying oil
- Wash the zucchini flowers under fresh water.
- Gently open the petals of each flower and insert 2 capers, and 1 cube of mozzarella.
- In a bowl, prepare the pastella (batter) by mixing: flour, eggs, garlic, mint, cheese and water.
- Dip the flower in the pastella and fry in hot oil.
- Fry the flowers on both sides until they turn golden.
- Serve immediately.
Note: Any leftover pastella? Do not throw away. Pour it in the hot oil and fry it–delicious!
Like ISDA on Facebook to receive more Italian-American culture, food & wine and entertainment news.