Summer's still in full swing, which means there's plenty of time to take in the zesty, refreshing flavors of the season...including this tangy twist on the classic Italian cookie.
The sour lemon is mellowed out by the sweet surprise of a light glaze on the bottom of the biscotti.
With this refreshing balance, you can invigorate your senses in the morning, or serve it as a Sunday summer dessert, these Lemon Biscottis are sure to be your next summer staple.
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup powered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 stick salted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 5 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
Rachel’s Recipes Tip: I prefer to bake with finely grated Himalayan salt. If you only have unsalted butter in the fridge, use 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Get out two bowls, spoon, mixer, nonstick baking sheet, knife, rolling pin, and rubber spatula
- If you don’t have a nonstick baking sheet, line your pan with parchment paper
For the Biscottis:
- Use a mixer to beat the butter and granulated sugar until thoroughly combined
- Add in 3 tablespoons of lemon juice and eggs, beat until completely mixed in
- Turn the mixing speed on low and slowly add the dry ingredients from your other bowl until everything is just combined
- Use a rolling pin to help form the dough into a 3″ x 10″ log (approximately)
- Place the log onto the nonstick baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until it is light golden brown
- Take the log out of the oven and let it cool for 30 minutes
- When it’s cooled, slice the biscottis into pieces about 1.5″ thick. You don’t want them too wide, but you don’t want them to be so thin that they crumble.
- Use a rubber spatula to help you lay the slices down on the sheet
- Bake for another 8-10 minutes
- Quickly take them out of the oven, flip each slice over, and put the sheet in the oven again
- Bake for another 8-10 minutes until both sides are golden
Rachel’s Recipes Tip: If you don’t want biscotti to have the traditional crunch, replace steps 11-13 with these instructions:
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees
- Put the sheet in the oven again and bake for 8-10 minutes
For the Glaze:
- Mix the powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 teaspoon milk together with a spoon in a medium-sized bowl until thoroughly combined
- Dip the bottom of the cooled biscottis into the glaze
Wait for the glaze to harden, serve and enjoy!