By: MaryAnn Dwyer
Prep time: 10 min. — Cook time: 30 min. — Total time: 40 min.
- 3 large chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1Tbsp. olive oil
- salt, pepper and paprika
- 5 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 8 oz. white button mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz. Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2/3 cup Marsala wine, divided
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- fresh chopped parsley for garnish, if desired
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and paprika. Add chicken to skillet and cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring often, until chicken is just cooked through. Remove chicken from skillet . Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onions and cook 5 minutes until softened and translucent, stirring often. Add garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute. Add orzo and cook for 2-3 minutes until lightly toasted, stirring until well combined.
- Add 1/3 Marsala wine and bring to a boil. Cook until almost all wine is evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 1/2 cups beef stock, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until pasta is tender and broth is mostly absorbed, about 10 minutes. Add chicken, additional 1/3 cup Marsala wine and remaining two tablespoons butter and continue to cook until chicken is heat through and liquid is mostly absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Divide among four dishes. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley.