This recipe was written by ISDA Contributing Editor Tony Traficante.
Italian Cream Cheesecake
I love cheesecake. Do you?
Here is an Italian Cheese Pie based on a recipe we found online (which Monica test-baked with a few alterations). It is not sweet; it is simple to make; and, it is outstandingly delicious. Not sure how many calories are embedded therein, but look at the ingredients. Can’t be that much…
A great treat for any other time of the year!
Ingredients for Filling:
- 16 oz. (2 cups) whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cups whipping cream
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- Homemade or store ready-made pie dough
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy; add sugar and beat to combine.
- Add ricotta cheese, cream, lemon juice and lemon zest, stir and blend well. (Some folks prefer the juice and zest of an orange). Also, at this point add vanilla, if desired.
- Prepare the homemade, or store bought dough into an 8 or 9-inch pie pan. It should be soft enough to use fingers to crimp the top edge around the pie dish.
- Pour mixture directly into the pie crust and bake in a preheated 325-degree oven for about one hour, or until firm when tested with a knife.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool completely, before refrigerating it. Best served chilled.
Serves 8 to 10 people.