The following recipe, created by Rossella Rago, appears on BotticelliFoods.com.
For the Meatballs:
- 1 Pound Sweet Italian Sausage Meat, casings removed
- 1/4 Cup Grated Pecorino Romano Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Grated
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Basil, finely minced
- 3 Tablespoons Botticelli Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the Sauce and Spaghetti:
- 2 Garlic cloves, sliced
- 1-28 oz Can Botticelli Peeled Tomatoes, pureed by a blender
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 3-4 Fresh Basil Leaves, torn
- 1 Pound Botticelli Spaghetti
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese to serve
To make the meatballs:
- In a mixing bowl combine the sausage, cheese, garlic and basil and mix together until combined. Shape into 24 meatballs and transfer to a plate.
- Put a large saute pan over a medium high flame and heat the oil. Add the meatballs to the pan and cook until browned on all sides, about 7-8 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- To make the sauce and spaghetti:
- In the same pan add the garlic and saute until golden, about 1 minute. Add the pureed tomatoes, water, salt and basil and meatballs to the pan. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes while stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Bring a pot of generously salted water to a boil. Drop the spaghetti in and cook until al dente. Drain and add to the pan with the sauce. Toss for 1-2 minutes over medium heat. Serve in warm bowls sprinkled with grated parmigiano reggiano cheese.
Serves: 4 to 6