The following recipe was published by People Magazine.
1 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 each onion and red pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves
¼ cup olive oil
2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano leaves
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
5 oz. assorted mushrooms (shiitake, cremini), stemmed and chopped
2 tbsp. tomato paste
½ cup red wine
16 oz. rigatoni pasta
½ cup mascarpone cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
1. Combine dried mushrooms and 1 ½ cups hot water in a small bowl; let stand 10 minutes. Drain mushrooms, reserving liquid; set aside.
2. Combine carrots and next 3 ingredients in bowl of a food processor; pulse vegetables just until finely chopped. Cook vegetable mixture, thyme and next 3 ingredients in hot olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat about 6 minutes or until tender.
3. Stir in assorted mushrooms, tomato paste and reserved porcini mushrooms; cook mixture about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are softened. Stir in reserved mushroom liquid and red wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes or until mixture reduces by half.
4. Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta, reserving ½ cup of cooking liquid.
5. Stir mascarpone cheese into vegetable mixture just until blended. Stir pasta into vegetable mixture. Add cooking liquid, as needed, to moisten sauce. Stir in grated Parmesan cheese. Serve with additional cheese, if desired.
Makes: 6 servings
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Like us on Facebook to receive more sports, entertainment and food & wine news.