The following recipe, prepared by Angela Rago, appears on CookingWithNonna.com.
For the Custard Cream:
- 1 Batch of Custard Cream (see recipe link below)
For the Whipped Cream:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 1 packet Italian Vanilla powder, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Coffee Mix:
- 1 1/2 cups brewed espresso coffee
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
For the Tiramisu`:
- 50 lady finger cookies or Savoiardi (I used about 16 per layer and made 3 layers in a 9×13 inch pan)
For the Topping:
- Unsweetened cocoa powder as desired
- Cream puffs to decorate – my mamma always used store bought but you can also use any cookies or fruits to decorate
To Make the Custard Cream:
- Get the recipe HERE!
To make the Whipped Cream:
- In a large mixing bowl add the confectioners sugar and vanilla to the heavy cream and beat with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Add 1/4 of the whipped cream to the custard cream and fold until well combined. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine the espresso coffee and milk and mix to combine.
- Dip each lady finger cookie into the coffee mixture and lay them into a 9×13 pan (I used a glass Pyrex) break the cookies to fit them in if necessary. I did two rows of 6 cookies vertically and two rows of 2 cookies horizontally, but just make sure the cookies fit nicely together.
- Spoon 1/2 of the whipped cream over the first layer of cookies.
- Add the second layer of cookies and spoon all of the custard mixed with whipped cream over them.
- Add the third layer of cookies and cover with the remaining whipped cream.
- Dust with the unsweetened cocoa powder as desired and decorate with the cream puffs.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Serve chilled.