- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 12 sweet Italian sausage links, about 3 pounds
- 8 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 4 hot pickled cherry peppers, stemmed, halved and seeded (can leave some of the seeds in if you like the heat)
- 3 small onions, peeled and cut into wedges attached at the root end
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms, halved (Button, Cremini, Shitake)
- 3 red, yellow or orange bell peppers, quartered or cut in sixths if large
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add sausage, cover and cook, turning occasionally, to brown all sides, about 10 minutes in all. Uncover, add the smashed garlic and cook until sausages are cooked all the way through, about 10 minutes more. Remove sausages to a plate.
- Add onion wedges and cover the skillet. Cook, tossing occasionally, until onions begin to caramelize on the edges, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and bell pepper, season with the salt, stir and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until all of the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes more. Uncover, increase heat to get the pan juices simmering and cook until juices have reduced and glazed the vegetables, about 10 minutes.
- Add the sausages back to the skillet. Cook and toss to heat the sausages through and combine flavors, about 3 minutes more.
Servings: 6 to 8