- 6 pieces round steak (thinly cut), or another meat of your choosing
- 8 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 large onions, sliced in ringlets
- 1 14½ oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 14½ oz. cans ready cut and peeled tomatoes, or fresh peeled tomatoes
- ¼ cup of oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup of water
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Rub oil on the bottom of large baking pan or casserole dish. Begin layering in order: potato, oil, sauce, salt, oregano, meat, onions, sauce, tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano and oil until all ingredients are used. Top with abundant oil and oregano.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about two hours. Check periodically to see if potatoes and meat are cooked by using a fork to test for tenderness.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes. You can serve this dish on a platter by placing the meat on one side and the potatoes on the other. Or, serve it together in its juices. Garnish with fresh parsley sprigs.
Serves: 8 to 10 people
atasteofsicily.netCARNE PIZZAIOLAMEAT AND POTATOES ITALIAN STYLEA great dish for holiday company.Enjoy!
Posted by A Taste of Sicily on Friday, December 15, 2017