The following recipe was published by People Magazine.
- Olive oil mister or nonstick cooking spray
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced crosswise into 3¾- to 4-in. thick rounds
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 large egg white
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 cups jarred low-sodium and low-fat or fat-free marinara sauce
- ½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat; lightly coat with cooking spray and add some eggplant slices (as many as will fit a single layer). Season with pepper and cook until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Turn eggplant over and season with more pepper. Reduce heat to medium and cook until eggplant is soft and cooked through, about 6 minutes longer. Repeat with remaining slices and pepper, adding more cooking spray to the skillet as needed.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a food processor, pulse the cottage cheese until it is semi-smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the egg white and ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Lightly coat a 11×7-in. baking dish with cooking spray. Add half the eggplant slices. Top with cottage cheese and remaining eggplant slices, followed by marinara sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and then the remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake until hot and bubbling, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Per serving: 160 calories, 15g protein, 5g fat, 7g sugar, 3g dietary fiber
Like us on Facebook to receive more food & wine, entertainment and culture news.