The following recipe, prepared by Chef Rossella Rago, appears on CookingWithNonna.com.
For the Sauce:
For the Meatballs:
- 1 pound ground meatloaf mix, Veal, pork and beef
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup grated pecorino Romano cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 3/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, shaved
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- Botticelli olive oil for frying
For the Lasagne:
- 24 Lasagne pasta sheets
- 8 tablespoons grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella shredded
To make the sauce:
- Put a large saucepan over a medium flame and heat the oil. Add the garlic and onions and cook until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the sausage and saute` while breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Cook the sausage until nicely browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the wine to the pan and cook until the alcohol is reduced, about 2 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes and salt to the pan. Fill each of the cans about halfway with water and swish them around. Add the water to the pan as well.
- Tear the basil leaves and add them in. Bring the sauce to a boil and lower the flame to low. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
To make the meatballs:
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients and mix with your hands until you have uniform mixture. Roll into meatballs about 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Put a large saute` pan over a medium- high flame. fry the meatballs in batches until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes each. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Set aside.
To make the Lasagne:
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Cook the Lasagne pasta sheets about halfway through, about half the time of the package instructions.
- Drain and run the pasta sheets under cold running water. Lay the pasta sheets flat on a baking sheet or hang them over a colander.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups of the sauce at the bottom of a large Lasagne pan. Arrange a layer of Lasagne pasta sheets slightly overlapping one another, about 5 vertically and one horizontally at the bottom. Cut any pieces that do not fit.
- Begin the layering by spreading about 1 cup of the sauce over the Lasagne pasta sheets and top with 1/3 of the meatballs. Next add about 1/4 cup of the mozzarella and 2 tablespoons of the grated cheese.
- Repeat 2 more times. Top the 3rd layer of meatballs with a final layer of Lasagne pasta sheets, 1 1/2 cups of sauce and the remaining grated cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Add the remaining mozzarella and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Join Sunday Supper, OrderISDA’s weekly e-newsletter, for the latest serving of all things Italian.
Make the pledge and become a member of Italian Sons and Daughters of America today!