The following was written by People Magazine news staff.
Giada de Laurentiis’ Italian Muffuletta Recipe
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 10 large pitted green olives, chopped
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped roasted red bell peppers
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 round bread loaf (7-in. diameter)
- 4 oz. thinly sliced ham
- 4 oz. thinly sliced salami
- 4 oz. thinly sliced mortadella
- 4 oz. sliced provolone cheese
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cups loosely packed arugula
1. Whisk together vinegar, oregano and garlic in a large bowl until blended. Gradually whisk in oil. Stir in green olives, kalamata olives, roasted peppers and black pepper.
2. Using a serrated knife, slice 1 inch from top of bread loaf. Split loaf horizontally, and scoop out soft bread from both halves, leaving a ½-inch-thick shell. (Reserve soft center of loaf for another use, if desired.)
3. Spread half of the vinaigrette in bottom half; layer with ham, salami, mortadella, cheese, onion and arugula. Spread remaining vinaigrette on top half of bread, and place vinaigrette side down on arugula. Cut the sandwich into 6 even wedges.
Active time: 20 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Like us on Facebook to receive more food & wine, travel and culture news.